Ryan Miller, MD
Orthopedic Hand Surgery
Dr. Miller is an orthopaedic-trained hand surgeon interested in all aspects of hand surgery. A California native, he completed college at the University of California, Irvine before relocating to the Midwest for medical school and residency. Following orthopaedic residency as a Cornhusker at the University of Nebraska, Dr. Miller returned to Southern California for a Hand & Upper Extremity Fellowship at Loma Linda University for additional microvascular and reconstructive training of the upper extremity. His particular interests include complex hand, wrist, and elbow deformity and trauma, nerve and tendon repair, arthroscopy, and wide-awake surgery with local anesthesia.
Dr. Miller emphasizes shared decision-making when developing treatment plans and will only pursue surgery for conditions refractory to nonoperative treatment, and which is supported by medical literature. When surgery is indicated, he will use wide-awake, local anesthesia, and no tourniquet (WALANT) technique, whenever possible.
In his free time, Dr. Miller enjoys spending time with his family, coaching, hiking, and cooking.
- Kusin, D. J., Miller, R. E., Bailey, Z., Stockwell, E. L., Boes, E. A., Roessner, C., Samson, K. K.,
Putnam, S., Sawatzke, A., Siebler, J. C., , Mormino, M. Patterns of Opiate Prescription
Practices in Isolated Operative Ankle Fractures: Creating Guidelines. Graduate Medical
Education Research Journal. 2021 Oct 04; 3(1).
- Miller R, Guillen P, Chen Y, Riedel B. An aggressive digital papillary adenocarcinoma and a
Grossly similar, contralateral callus: a case report. JBJS Case Connect. 2021 Jul 28;11(3).
- Riedel B, Miller R, Chen Y, Wongworawat D. Intramedullary suture anchor fixation of a type Vb
flexor digitorum profundus avulsion: a case report. JBJS Case Connect. 2021 Jul 15;11(3).
- Miller R, Olinger C, Grossman L, Chakkalakal D, Bergmann K, Lyden E, Siebler J. A retrospective study at two level one trauma centers on the association of internal injuries with femoral fractures. Grad Med Educ Res J. 2019 Dec; 1(1).
- Garvin KL, Miller R, Gilbert T, White A, Lyden E. Late Reinfection May Recur More Than 5 Years After Reimplantation of THA and TKA: Analysis of Pathogen Factors. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2018 Feb; 476(2):345-352.
- Miller R, Streubel PN. Scapholunate Advanced Collapse: Four-Corner Fusion and Proximal Row Carpectomy. 2016. Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine, 24(2), 117-122.
- Zhou R, Gong AY, Chen D, Miller R, Eischeid AN, Chen XM. Histone deacetylases and NF-kB signaling coordinate expression of CX3CL1 in epithelial cells in response to microbial challenge by suppressing miR-424 and miR-503. PLoS One. 2013 May 28;8(5):e65153.